Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page
Apparatus: Motorized

Sand Wagons & Pollution Control Units
San Francisco Fire Department
In Order of Purchase
1938 - 1996

Shop # Year & Manufacture Details
PC-1 1938 Ford closed-cab Express Truck
  Engine: Ford 6-cylinder, 120 HP
  1963: Converted from Foam Wagon (FW-1) to a Sand Truck.  The truck bed was stocked with 5-gallon buckets of sand for controlling fuel spills.  Shop number changed to PC-1
   
  In Service Company Details
  Assignments: (Pre-conversion, see Foam Wagons)
    1963 - 1967  Sand Wagon 1
    1967 Reserve
    1974 Transferred to the Toy Detail
    After 2000 Sold 

Back to the Top

Shop # Year & Manufacture Details
PC-2 1952 Chevrolet 1 ½ ton Truck
848 Engine: Chevrolet 6-cylinder, 78 HP
  1967: converted from Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 15.  Hale pump, ladder rack, and hose-bed divider removed.  Stocked with 5-gallon buckets of sand from PC-1 for control of hazardous spills
  1970: Shop number changed to 848
  1977: Equipment transferred to Shop #825
   
  In Service Company Details
  Assignments:
    1967 - 1977  Sand Wagon 1
    1977 - 1984 Services Bureau
    1984 Converted to a CO2 Unit (see CO2 Units)

Back to the Top

Shop # Year & Manufacture Details
825 1955 American LaFrance "700" Series
    Registration ##9401  
  Engine: American LaFrance V-12, 275 HP
  1977: Conversion from a Rescue Company to a Pollution Unit using the equipment from the 1952 Chevrolet, PC-2 (848) for control of hazardous spills   In addition to sand buckets, and this unit carried sacks of sawdust.
   
  In Service Company Details
  Assignments: (Pre-conversion, see Rescue Squads)
    1977 - 1989 Pollution Control Unit
    1989 - 1996 Reserve   -   gear transferred to new vehicle - (see Foam Wagons)
    1996 Sold

Back to the Top

Shop # Year & Manufacture Details
887 1989 Ford "C-8000" tilt-cab stake-sided flat-bed truck with a "Flipaway" hydraulic tail-gate
  Engine: Caterpillar diesel, 210 HP
  1989: Stocked with all equipment from Foam Unit, shop #868.  Also, stocked with all equipment from Pollution Control Unit, shop #825
   
  In Service Company Details
  Assignments:
    1989 - July 1996 Pollution Control Unit
  1996 July:  Converted to a Utility truck.  All equipment transferred to a converted 1973 Ward LaFrance, shop #566.  Now used as a general heavy duty deliver truck by the Bureau of Equipment
  Assignments:
    July 1996 - Present (Nov. 2009) Utility Truck

Back to the Top

Shop # Year & Manufacture Details
566 1973 Ward LaFrance triple combination Engine
    Registration #80879  
  Engine: Detroit Diesel V-8 type 33, 350 HP
  1996: converted from an Engine to a combination Foam Unit-Pollution Control Unit and equipped with all foam and pollution control equipment from the 1989 Ford, shop #887
   
  In Service Company Details
  Assignments: (Pre-conversion, see Motorized Pumpers)
    July 1996 - Present (Nov. 2009) Pollution Control Unit

Back to the Top