Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Chemical Engine & Tank Wagon Companies:

 

Chemical Engine Company No. 1
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  May 17, 1890

Location:  Financial District

1890   May 17th, assigned to quarters at 104 New Montgomery Street

Location:  South of Market

1895   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 144 2nd Street
1902   Relocated to new quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 676 Howard Street
1906   The firehouse, a three story brick building on a full size lot, valued at $35,000, was totally destroyed in the 1906 Fire
1906   After April 18th, relocated to temporary quarters at 676 Howard Street
1917   Relocated to new quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 676 Howard Street
1920   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 35, 38 Bluxome Street
1930   Company disbanded

Location:  North Beach

1931   Company reorganized at the quarters of Engine Co. No. 28, 1814 Stockton Street
1946   Chemical Co. No. 1 converted to Tank Wagon Co. No. 1
1955   February, Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 41, 1325 Leavenworth Street
1956   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 28, 1814 Stockton Street
1960   April 30th, company disbanded

Apparatus:
Motorized:
1917 - August 15, 1918
1916 American LaFrance Type 12 with two 100 gallon soda-acid chemical tanks and one 300 foot reel of 1 inch chemical hose
Engine: American LaFrance 6 cylinder, 100 HP
Shop No. CE-17

August 15, 1918 - 1926
1917 American LaFrance Type 12 with two 100 gallon soda-acid chemical tanks and one 300 foot reel of 1 inch chemical hose
Engine: American LaFrance 6 cylinder, 100 HP
Shop No. CE-20

1926 - 1930
1926 White with two 80 gallon soda-acid chemical tanks and one 300 foot reel of 1 inch chemical hose
Engine: White 4 cylinder, 40 HP
Shop No. CE-24

In 1948 all Chemical Companies were converted to Tank Wagon Companies.

Back to the Top