Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Engine Companies:

 

Engine Company No. 4
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  December 3, 1866

Location:  South of Market, Financial District, Rincon Hill and Eastern Waterfront

1866   December 3rd, assigned to quarters at 144 - 2nd Street, the former quarters of Tiger Engine Co. No. 14
1902   Relocated to new quarters at 676 Howard Street
1906   The firehouse, a three story brick building on a full size lot, valued at $35,000, was totally destroyed in the 1906 Fire
1906   After April 18th, relocated to temporary quarters at 676 Howard Street
1917   Returned to new quarters at 676 Howard Street. The cost of the building was $40,000
1957   April 1st, relocated to 115 Drumm Street, the quarters of Engine Co. No.12 for the rebuilding of the firehouse
1858   February 13th, returned to new quarters at 676 Howard Street

Location:  Polk Gulch, Cow Hollow, Nob Hill

1973   March, relocated to I648 Pacific Avenue and housed with Truck Co. No. 4, the former quarters of Engine Co. No. 8, which was relocated to the quarters of Truck Co. No. 8
1979   July 1, 1979, company disbanded due to City budget cuts of the Fire Department