Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Single Companies:

 

Foam Unit Company No. 1
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized 1938

Location:
1938    Organized and assigned to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 12, 115 Drumm Street
1946    Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 16, 909 Tennessee Street
1970    July 1st, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 6, 356 - 7th Street
1973    Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 29, 299 Vermont Street
1989    Company disbanded and all equipment was transferred to Pollution Control Unit

Apparatus:
1938 - 1958
FW-1   1938 Ford closed-cab Express Truck carrying two mechanical foam generators and thirty-six (36) cans of mechanical foam powder
                        Engine: Ford 6-cylinder, 120 HP

1958 - 1962
FW-2   1937 Fageol Tank Wagon 
Registration #9534
                        Engine: Hall-Scott 6-cylinder, 175 HP
                        1958: converted from a Tank Wagon (TW-6).   Stocked with all equipment from the 1938 Ford (FW-1)

1962-1971
FW-3   1936 American LaFrance "400" Series Type 412-CB
                        Registration #7768
                        Engine: American LaFrance V-12, 240 HP
                        1962: Conversion from an Engine (C-70) to a Foam Unit.  Pump removed. Stocked with both equipment from FW-2 and
                         newer  liquid  concentrated foam canisters and appropriate application equipment, including in line foam generators and
                         foam nozzles, and sets of increasers and reducers
                        1970: Shop number changed to 841

1971 - 1986
862      1946 American LaFrance "600" Series  
                        Registration #8257
                        Engine: American LaFrance V-12, 240 HP
                        1971: converted from Salvage Unit #862 into a Foam Unit.  Stocked with all equipment from the 1936 American LaFrance Foam
                         Unit, shop #841
                       
1986 - 1989
868      1957 Van Pelt-White
Registration ##467896
                        Engine: Hall-Scott 6-cylinder, 160 HP
                        1986: converted in from Salvage Unit #868 into a Foam Unit.  Stocked with all equipment from the 1946 American LaFrance,
                         shop #862
                        1989: Returned to the configuration of a Salvage Unit and transferred to the roster of the Museum apparatus collection

Back to the Top