1963 Organized and assigned to the quarters of Engine Company No. 15, 2150 California Street
1965 Relocated to the quarters of Engine Company No. 2, 460 Bush Street
1970 June 18th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Company No. 3, 1067 Post Street
1974 March 11th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Company No. 31, 441 - 12th Avenue
1977 Re-designated as the POLLUTION CONTROL UNIT
1977 Relocated to the quarters of Engine Company No. 8, 36 Bluxome Street
1985 Relocated to the quarters of Engine Company No. 29, 299 Vermont Street
1994 March 1st, relocated to the quarters of Engine Company No. 36, 109 Oak Street
1995 February 9th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Company No. 22, 1290 - 16th Avenue
2000 March 23rd, relocated to the quarters of Engine Company No. 20, 285 Olympia Way
1963 - 1967
PC-1 1938 Ford closed-cab Express Truck
Engine: Ford 6-cylinder, 120 HP
1963: converted from Foam Wagon (FW-1) to a Sand Truck. The truck bed was stocked with 5-gallon buckets of sand for
controlling fuel spills. Shop number changed to PC-1
Upon a call of alarm for the Sand Wagon, it was manned by a member of the home, or next closest available, Engine Company.
When it was necessary to re-fill the sand buckets, either the probationary, or the junior member of the company was assigned
to drive the unit to Ocean Beach where they would shovel sand into the 5 gallon buckets.
1967 - 1977
PC-2 1952 Chevrolet 1 ½ ton Truck
848 Engine: G.M.C. 6-cylinder, 130 HP
1967: converted from Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 15. Hale pump, ladder rack, and hose-bed divider removed. Stocked with
5-gallon buckets of sand from PC-1 for control of hazardous spills.
1970: Shop number changed to 848
1977 - 1989
825 1955 American LaFrance "700" Series
Engine: American LaFrance V-12, 275 HP
1977: conversion from a Rescue Company to a Pollution Unit using the equipment from the 952 Chevrolet, PC-2 (#848) for
Control of hazardous spills. In addition to sand buckets, and this unit carried sacks of sawdust.
1989 - July 1996
887 1989 Ford "C-8000" tilt-cab stake-sided flat-bed truck with a "Flipaway" hydraulic tail-gate
Engine: Caterpillar diesel, 210 HP
1989: Stocked with all equipment from Foam Unit, shop #868 and all equipment from Pollution Control Unit, shop #825.
July 1996 - Present (November 2009)
566 1973 Ward LaFrance triple combination Engine
Engine: Detroit Diesel V-8 type 33, 350 HP
1996: converted from an Engine to a combination Foam Unit-Pollution Control Unit and equipped with all foam and pollution control equipment from the 1989 Ford, shop #887.
Back to the Top