Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Underwriters Fire Patrol Companies:

 

Underwriters Fire Patrol Company No. 1

Organized:  May 24, 1875

Location:  South of Market
1875   May 24th, organized and assigned to quarters on Stevenson at Ecker Street
1887   Relocated to new quarters at 106-08 Jessie Street between 2nd & New Montgomery Streets
1903   Relocated to new quarters at 12-14 Natoma Street
1906   Relocated to the quarters UFP Co. No. 3, 1915 Bush Street the former quarters on Natoma Street were destroyed in the 1906 Fire
1908   Relocated to new quarters at 147 Natoma Street
1918   Company disbanded to organize United Fire Patrol Co. No. 1A

Apparatus:  Horse Drawn
1875 - 1911   Unknown

Apparatus:  Motorized
May 1911 - 1914
UP-1       1911 American LaFrance Type-5 Salvage Wagon
Registration #25

Engine: American LaFrance 4 cylinder, 50 HP
Delivered to San Francisco: April 27, 1911
            THE FIRST MOTORIZED APPARATUS IN SAN FRANCISCO

1914 - 1918
UP-5       1914 American LaFrance Type-12 Salvage Wagon

Engine: American LaFrance 4 cylinder, 70 HP