Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Engine Companies:

 

Engine Company No. 5
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  December 3, 1866

Location:  Chinatown, North Beach, Telegraph Hill, Russian Hill and the Northern Waterfront

1866   December 3rd, assigned to quarters at 1219 Stockton Street, the former quarters of Vigilant Engine Co. No. 9
1906   April 18th, the firehouse, a two story brick building, valued at $10,000, was totally destroyed in the 1906 Fire
1906   After April 18th, relocated to temporary quarters at 1235 Stockton Street
1916   Relocated to new quarters at 1340 Powell Street.  The cost of the new building was $20,000
1918   August 15th, changed to run as a Hose Company only
1925   Company disbanded
1952   August 7th, reorganized as a regular engine company at 1340 Powell Street
1955   February, relocated to 1088 Green Street for the remodeling of the firehouse, the former quarters of Engine Co. No. 31
1955   December 30th, returned to 1340 Powell Street

Location:  Fillmore, Western Addition

1973   May 25th, relocated to 1301 Turk Street at the quarters of Truck Co. No. 5
1999   March 15th, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 21, 1443 Grove Street, for the earthquake retrofitting of their firehouse
1999   December 14th, returned to 1301 Turk Street