Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page

Water Tower Companies:

 

Water Tower Company No. 1
San Francisco Fire Department

Organized:  July 1, 1891

Location:  Financial District

1891   July 1st, assigned to quarters at 50 Sacramento Street

Location:  South of Market

1895   Relocated to the quarters of Chemical Engine Co. No. 1, 104 New Montgomery Street
1902   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 144 - 2nd Street
1906   Relocated to 524 - 10th Street due to the Earthquake and Fire (as unmanned special call unit)
1910   Reorganized and assigned to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 676 Howard Street
1920   July 21st, relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 6, 356 - 7th Street and converted to a motorized unit
1925   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 676 Howard Street
1955   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 19, 1300 - 4th Street

Location:  Financial District

1957   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 12, 115 Drumm Street

Location:  South of Market

1958   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 4, 676 Howard Street
1968   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 19, 1300 - 4th Street

Location:  Financial District

1970   Relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 12, 115 Drumm Street
1975   Company disbanded

Apparatus:
Horse Drawn: 2 horses

July 1, 1891 - July 1, 1898:
1890    Hale 55 foot Water Tower
Hydraulically raised
SFFD Shop # WT-1 (note: The WT stands for Water Tower.  The number 1 designates that it was the first water tower to be placed into service.)
Crew:  Two firemen on each shift
1894   Converted to three-horse hitch
1895   Gorter High Pressure Battery turret installed on left rear of chassis
1897   June, rebuilt in the Corporation Yard Shop after damaged by a falling wall
1898   Placed into a reserve status
1909   Scrapped

Water Tower Co. 1
Water Tower Co. No. 1
1890 Hale 55 foot Water Tower
In front the SFFD Corporation Yard, 52 Sacramento Street
Captain Frank Crockett is standing at the front wheel
This photo was taken circa 1890

July 1, 1898 - 1901:
Horse Drawn: 3 horses

I898    65 foot, Henry H. Gorter Water Tower.  Built at the San Francisco Fire Department Corporation Yard
Raised by two Pelton water wheels
Gorter High Pressure Battery turret installed on chassis
SFFD Shop # WT-2   
Crew:  Two firemen on each shift

1901 - 1975:
1901 75 foot, Henry H. Gorter Water Tower built at the San Francisco Fire Department Corporation Yard
SFFD Shop # WT-3
Crew   Two firemen on each shift

1929    December 6th, pneumatic tires installed.
1930    July, electric spotlight attached to nozzle barrel of mast turret
1921   July 21st, converted from horse drawn to motorized
Tractor Combinations:
1921   American LaFrance Type 17-6 tractor, registry #3452, shop number, TR-25, was attached to the tower.  (TR stands for tractor)
1928   July 27th, 1926 Kleiber, registry #4228, tractor, shop number, TR-29
1929   November 26th, 1926 Kleiber, registry #4229, tractor, shop number, TR-30
1961   January 4th, 1939 Ahrens-Fox tractor, shop, TR-42
1971   March 1st, 1950 Seagrave tractor, shop number, TR-57
1975   Re-coupled to the 1926 Kleiber, shop number, TR-29 and transferred to the roster of the Museum  

This unit is now part of the apparatus collection of the Museum.

Back to the Top