Engine Company No. 23 - 1893
3022 Washington Street (mapped location)
San Francisco Official Landmark 93
Neighborhood: Pacific Heights
1893 Engine Co. No. 23 organized and assigned to quarters
1915 September 19th, converted to motorized apparatus
1941 November 1st, Battalion 4 relocated from Engine Co. No. 15, 2150 California Street
1960 November 18th, Battalion 4 relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. No. 15, 2150 California Street
1963 October 16th, company relocated to new quarters at 285 Olympia Way. Later sold at the City & County of San Francisco public auctions.
Designed by Henrikson & Mahoney, Victorian style Engine No. 23 is nearly identical to Engine Co. No. 21. Constructed with redwood millwork that characterized much of the architecture of the era; its company acted as protector to the prominent families of the Pacific Heights District. At the September 15th, 1915 changeover to motorized apparatus, the Company received a 1915 Christie worm-gear-driven 2 wheel 4 cylinder 48.4 HP tractor connected to a 1907 American LaFrance Metropolitan, registry #3214, steam engine, double 7 ½ inch piston 600 GPM pump. Also, on this date the company also received a 1913 American LaFrance, registry #275, combination Chemical and Hose Car, with one 35 gallon chemical tank. The company was relocated to new quarters at 285 Olympia Way. The firehouse was sold at public auction to interior designer John Dickerson, who converted the building into his home and studio. After John Dickerson's death, Carl and Martha Harmon bought the firehouse, and they later sold it to former Governor Jerry Brown who lived in the firehouse for two years during the 1980's.
Back to the Top