Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page
Vintage Firehouses - Engine Company No. 44:
 
Engine Company No. 44

Engine Company No. 44 - 1909
3816 - 22nd Street (mapped location)

Neighborhood: Upper Noe Valley

Company History:
1910    Chemical Co. No. 11 organized and assigned to quarters
1916    Chemical Co. No. 11 relocated to the quarters of Engine Co. 25, 2547 Folsom Street
1916    Engine Co. No. 44 placed in service as a chemical hose company only
1916    Converted to motorized apparatus
1918    April 15th, company disbanded and house closed
1922    Engine Co. No. 44 re-activated as a chemical hose company only
1928    Engine Co. No. 44 changed to a full engine company
1958    April 16th, Engine Co. No. 44 relocated to new quarters at 1935 - 32nd Avenue
1959    Sold at a City & County of San Francisco public auction

Engine Company No. 44 is two-story stucco Mission Revival firehouse that was constructed by the McSheehy Brothers in the style most popular after 1906. Know as a “Hill Company” this firehouse gave protection to the Noe Valley area and the Castro district of the City.  The first motorized apparatus was a 1916 American LaFrance Type 12 Chemical and Hose Car with one 35 gallon chemical tank with a 6 cylinder 100 HP engine.  In 1959, the Department sold it at auction to Mark and Beth Adams for under $15,000.  For over forty years, they maintained the house as an artist's studio and private residence in this quiet neighborhood.   In 2007, a major renovation of the firehouse began.  The renovation is now completed, and the building is for sale. The asking price for the 6,140 square foot 4 bedroom, 4 ½ bath former firehouse is $5,975,000.