Guardians of The City SFFD Home Page - San Francisco Fire Department Museum SFFD HomeBack to GuardiansofTheCity.org Home Page
Vintage Firehouses - Engine Company No. 7:
 
Engine Company No. 7
Engine Company No. 7 March, 1968
March, 1968
Engine Company No. 7

Engine Company No. 7 - 1907
3160 - 16th Street (mapped location)

Neighborhood: Inner Mission

Company History:
1854   January 1st, home of Young America Engine Company No.13
1866   December 3rd, Young America Engine Company No. 13 disbanded
1866   December 3rd, Hose Company No. 5 organized and assigned to quarters
1868   April 15th, Engine Company No.7 organized and assigned to quarters
1894   Chemical Engine Co. No. 7 relocated from Masonic Avenue and Java Street
1906   April 18th, housed closed for earthquake repairs
1906   Earthquake or Fire damage to the firehouse valued at $12,000.  Cost of new building $22,000
1907   Engine Co. No. 7 returned to the new quarters after temporary 1906 housing at 3623 - 17th Street
1907   Chemical Engine Co. No. 9 organized and assigned to quarters
1916   Chemical Engine Co. No. 9 relocated to Truck Co. No. 6, 349 Hermann Street
1917   Chemical Engine Co. No. 7 disbanded
1918   Converted to motorized apparatus
1941   November 1st, Battalion 6 relocated from Engine Co. No. 13, 1458 Valencia Street
1952   Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 22 organized and assigned to quarters
1968   March 12th, Engine Co. No. 7 relocated to new quarters at 80 Digby Street
1968   March 12th, Auxiliary Engine Co. No. 21 relocated to new quarters at 80 Digby Street. Sold at a City & County of San Francisco public auction

This wooden structure on the corner of Albion Street is the third firehouse to be built on this site.  In 1854 the Young America Engine Company, with their hand drawn apparatus, occupied the first firehouse built here.  In 1868 the newly organized Engine Company No. 7, with their horse drawn steam engine, was stationed here.  The firehouse was lost in the 1906 Fire.  In 1908 the firehouse was rebuilt with a simple corniced structure.  In 1918 the company received a 1916 American LaFrance Type 45 chain drive 6 cylinder 120 HP engine with a combination 900 GPM rotary gear pump and hose wagon and the horses were retired.  On March 12, 1968, Engine Company No.7 and the auxiliary engine assigned here were moved to new quarters at 80 Digby Street in Diamond Heights, and the firehouse was closed.  The exterior was renovated in 1978, and in recent years it has been used as an art gallery and a disco.